Baby showers once meant awkward small talk and tiny sandwiches – but times are changing. Today’s baby showers can range from backyard barbecues (AKA "baby-q's") to co-ed mingling to wedding-scale blowouts. Lauren Allen , Portland Editor for lilaguide.com joined us with some new trends for baby showers:
Gifts for Mama
- Baby showers don’t just mean gifts for babies anymore
- There’s a trend where people are getting gifts for the mom-to-be, with goodies like prenatal massages and lotions
- Baby comes first, but grown-up indulgences are always appreciated – especially since pregnancy can come with its pretty uncomfortable moments
Daddies on Board
- Don’t be surprised to see men at a baby shower these days. According to a poll on our sister site TheNestBaby.com, 60 percent of people would throw a co-ed baby shower!
- While dad-to-be might not enjoy unwrapping breast pumps and bibs, why shouldn’t he and his buddies join in the celebration? After all, it’s his baby too!
- If you do decide to have a co-ed baby shower, make sure there are games the boys can bond over too. We’ve heard of one baby shower on TheNestBaby.com where there was a poker tournament with $10 and a pack of diapers as a buy-in!
Bold Hues & New Favors
- Forget your average pink and blue pastels, today’s baby showers are taking on a whole new look
- Today’s hot shower hues include bold and cool combos like orange and pink, or blue and brown, or periwinkle and cream
- Favors are getting a makeover too. One of our favorite ideas is filling up old-fashioned milk bottles with different kinds of milk and serving it with cute cupcakes as guests head out the door. You can’t ever go wrong with edible favors!
- Just because mom-to-be won’t be looking for the bar, that doesn’t mean the shower has to stay dry
- More and more showers are including fun, adult drinks, and a baby shower that occurs during brunch is a perfect way to tie in bellinis and mimosas
- Sheet cakes aren’t the standard for baby showers anymore!
- These days, baby shower cakes are almost on par with wedding cakes
- Cupcakes were a huge trend when it came to weddings, and now we’re seeing it in baby showers. And one-of-a-kind cakes are being designed by the best cake bakers and are oftentimes the centerpiece of the shower (in addition to the mom-to-be)
- Showers aren’t all about firsts anymore. These days, women pregnant with their second, third or fourth child are getting baby "sprinkles"
- Think of the baby sprinkle as a "sprinkling" of gifts instead of a full-on shower since second-time moms are usually well set-up with gear
- At a baby sprinkle, the new addition is honored with a get-together and small gifts like diapers, wipes and books
- Consider using umbrellas or parasols for décor, raindrop-shaped cookies as favors to turn this into a theme
Cool, modern-day baby shower themes:
- One idea we love is "nesting" theme for a baby shower.
- For example, decorate an entryway table with light blue tulle and blue feathers. On top of the table, you can have two tall glass vases filled with branches and wired-on butterflies and birds
- You could use white birdcages as centerpieces and find mini wired houses as favors – just fill them up with sweet treats like grass, marshmallows and packets of hot chocolate
- It’s a modern and unique take on a baby shower
- A "baby-q" is perfect for a baby shower in the backyard or a park
- Offer drinks like beer, mocktails, and cider, and continue the festivities with a game of softball or old-school kickball
- Food could be mini versions of burgers, hot dogs, little cups of potato salad, and more
Baby Gone Wild
- Forget the old zoo baby shower theme – now there’s the "baby gone wild" theme
- The "baby gone wild" baby shower theme is bringing the zoo baby shower theme to a whole new level. Think of it is sassy and bold with zebra print tablecloths
A Star is Born
- Perfect for the celeb-obsessed mom-to-be. You could lay down a red carpet and set up a video camera to catch guests’ arrivals on film and even ask them to record a good-luck message for the new family
- When mom-to-be is opening presents, have her sit in a director’s chair with a feather boa
- Leave disposable cameras throughout the room and encourage people to pose and primp for the lens.
- Ask guests to create a couture line of clothing for the little one by setting up a table with white cotton onesies and fabric markers
- For games, you can quiz guests on their celebrity baby knowledge. For example, which celebrity moms have gotten push presents, who has a baby named Shiloh, and more