When negative things keep happening to us, it can be hard to think of the good things. But keeping a positive mindset has great benefits for your health and happiness. Being positive is a form of happiness. Being happy lowers stress hormones, while also providing a protective effect on your immune system and it’s just a better way to live. Self-esteem coach Laure Redmond joined us on "Feel Good Friday" with a list of ways we can cultivate an attitude of gratitude for the things we do have!
- Choose to be Happy, especially with the same gender … a recent British medical journal study found that happiness is like a stampede and the group that rated the happiest were friends of the same gender, particularly women. Also helpful to being happy: being at the center of social networks. Having siblings near by – and - Having a happy spouse.
- Give more purpose to your family. Many cultures who have elderly relatives living with their children embrace the opportunity to blend young and old. Interesting is that elders who live in a multi generational family tend to live longer.
- If you can grow it or farm it, you should eat it. Longevity foods are: kale, broccoli and eggs and as the body gets older, plant based diets tend to make the body happier.
- If your friends are toxic, you probably are also. Studies have proven that fat people hang out with fat people and toxic people tend to gravitate and hang out with toxic people.
- Get your daily dose of Vitamin D or 15 minutes of sun.
- Improve your quadriceps muscle strength and your posture.
- Two daily alcoholic beverages has proven to be an effective de-stressor, especially when bonding with friends and family.
- Eat less in the evenings and enjoy a big breakfast.
- Stay active daily to maintain your sense of purpose. Not only does this help get food on the table, it helps you remain involved in a community, which also restores vitality.
For more information visit Laure's website or check out Laure's book "Feel Good Naked." and its corresponding website.