Dr. Andrew Ahmann, Director of the Harold Schnitzer Diabetes Health Center, joined us today to tell us about a disease that millions of Americans have -- they just dont' know it yet! Here is some important information you should know about diabetes:
- Nearly 24 million people have diabetes in the United States and 5.7 million don't even know they have it! (The diagnosis may come 7-10 years after the onset of the disease.)
- Another 57 million are diagnosed with pre-diabetes -- which means they are a high risk for developing the disease.
- Diabetes is a disease in which proper treatment and on-going education can help maintain a healthy life, delaying or preventing complications of the disease.
- A FREE education opportunity -- provided by the American Diabetes Association -- takes place Saturday February 21st at the Oregon Convention Center -- The Diabetes Expo. Children and adults diagnosed with diabetes are welcome , as well as those who have pre-diabetes or those at risk for the disease.
Saturday, Feb 21st
Oregon Convention Center
Admission is FREE!
Activities at the Diabetes Expo include:
- Presentations about the Future of Diabetes Management (by Dr. Ahmann), foot care, being active, the latest technology to monitor blood sugar, and What You Need to Know About Diabetes Medication.
- Cooking and Fitness demonstrations
- Product and service exhibits featuring a variety of tools to help manage diabetes
- Free health screenings (blood pressure, feet, bone density, eyes, blood glucose testing)
- Meet one-on-one with medical professionals
- Free flu shots
- Interactive Kids Corner (rock climbing wall, face painting, fitness activities with the Wii system)
- El Mundo Latino (Spanish area with presentations and interactive activities)
- Across from the Diabetes Expo is the Jim Hansen MD Memorial Symposium with an update on the search for a cure for type 1 diabetes. This event is for kids with type 1 diabetes and their families. Kids will learn magic tricks from "The Magic of Seth."