Amy Roloff's Pumpkin Scones
Little People, Big World's joins us to share a Pumpkin Scone recipe from her cookbook, "Short and Simple Family Recipes"
Amy Roloff’s Pumpkin Scones
1. In a small bowl, soak the dried cranberries in hot water for 15-20 minutes to plump and soften them up. Remove, drain and set aside.
2. Preheat the oven to 375F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, ginger and salt. Incorporate the butter cubes into the mixture until it resembles coarse meal.
4. In a medium bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, pumpkin puree and vanilla until smooth. Slowly add the wet ingredients to the flour mixture along with the cranberries and candied ginger. Mix until it is all just combined (do not over-mix or the scones will be tough).
5. Transfer to a lightly-floured surface and knead the dough gently 4 or 5 times. Pat the dough into a disc (about 8-inches round and 1½-inches thick). Cut the disc in half, and then cut each half into 4 pie-shaped wedges (triangles).
6. Place the scones on the baking sheet and brush the tops with the heavy cream. Bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out with a few moist crumbs attached, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool on a baking rack for 15 minutes before serving.