Boost Your Immune System Naturally!
Shorter days, colder temperatures and more time spent indoors all increase our chances of getting sick. Since there is no cure for the common cold, the best thing you can do is prevent it! Registered Dietitian Megan Roosevelt shared five natural ways to boost our immune systems.
1. Eat Immune Boosting Foods! Zinc, Vitamin E and Vitamin C contain antioxidants which can help boost white blood cells helping to fight and prevent future illness.
2. Vitamin D, Sun or Supplement
3. Be Hot and Spicy There is a reason our body craves warm, hot and comforting foods during the cold season. Warm foods and spices help to boost the immune system. Make the following spices staples in your winter pantry.
Try Ginger tea or add ginger to a stir fry, cinnamon in oatmeal or baked goods, and cayenne in soup! Spices and herbs are also a great way to add flavor to meals without excess calories or sodium.
4. Stay Hydrated! Drink water, herbal tea, and more water! Stay hydrated to help flush out toxins and keep all of your organs functioning their best. These herbal teas can help boost the immune system.
Some of my favorite cold weather teas's include Yogi: Cold Season, Honey Lemon Throat Comfort, Echinacea Immune Support, Green Tea, Chamomile and Soothing Caramel Bedtime.
5. Continue to develop or begin healthier lifestyle habits.
There are a lot of ways we can prevent getting sick. We have yet to even begin the holiday season, which is the best time of the year, but is often tiresome, busy, and stressful for people. So start helping your health now. Go to the store and load up on plant based immune boosting foods, herbal tea's, herbs and spices. Start practicing the healthy habits of getting to bed earlier and making time to exercise. Make this Holiday season one that is enjoyable, joyful and healthy!
For more great health information, visit Megan's website.