Holiday gatherings are often filled with many tempting sweet and salty snacks that can leave you feeling bloated and thirsty. Healthy Grocery Girl Megan Roosevelt, RD, LD, joined us with some of her favorite party snack ideas for a happy and healthy holiday season:
- Olives. Green, black or stuffed with garlic, olives are delicious and healthy! Olives are rich in iron, fiber and copper as well as beautifying and anti-aging antioxidants!
- Whole Wheat Crackers and Hummus. Whole-wheat crackers contain fiber, which helps to slow digestion, and keep you feeling full and satisfied. Spread a protein satisfying bean dip such as hummus onto crackers to create a tasty and satisfying mini snack.
- Veggie or Fruit Platter. You can arrange vegetables and fruit into Christmas trees and other holiday shapes for a festive and healthy snack! Fruits and vegetables are rich in immune boosting antioxidants, which help us prevent and fight the cold and flu, both of which are very common this time of year!
- Nuts. Almonds, pecans or cashews, nuts contain protein, fiber and healthy fats known to be good for your heart and for your brain!
- Dark Chocolate! Real dark chocolate contains an antioxidant known as cocoa flavanols. Flavanols helps improve blood circulation throughout the body, which can improve brain and heart health! Dark chocolate also contains iron. With the busy time of year we are bound to feel tired and fatigued. Consuming adequate amounts of iron-rich foods help keep our energy levels up.
For more health and nutrition tips, visit Megan's website.