As a Behavorial Investigator, Vanessa Van Edwards is an expert at reading body language. She joined us to help decode non-verbal love signs -- so we'll know when someone is attracted to us.
Non-Verbal Love Signs:
Remember that only 7% of communication is verbal! The other 93% is body, face, voice tone. So you can use this during the courtship process.
*A lot of our courtship cues come from our biological impulses and evolutianary background. Not much has changed since our caveman days (except maybe high heels and cologne).
Women tend to...
- Tilting the head- exposes the neck which is vulnerable, submissive behavior and releases pheromones to the male.
- Rub their subrasternal notch- when feeling intimate. (tread carefully)
- The ultimate flirty look from an evolutionary stand point- chin down, look up to the side at a man while batting her eyelashes. This makes her look approachable, helpless and submissive. From an evolutionary point of view this revs a mans engine. Marilyn Monroe and Princess Diana had this look perfected.
Men tend to...
- Point their feet to the female they are most attracted to
- Territorial displays - Splaying legs far apart. (both seated and standing)
- Tuck their hands in their pocket with their thumbs out- this is a confidence gesture. John wayne used to do it in all of his posters! Classic American cowboy stance.
- Fake Happiness: Genuine Happiness is crinkling at the eyes. Be sure to watch out for fake smiles
- Lip pursing: It means they are holding back and not telling you something.
For more information from Vanessa, check out her Science of People website.