Decoding Non-Verbal Love Signs

As a Behavorial Investigator, Vanessa Van Edwards is an expert at reading body language.  She joined us to help decode non-verbal love signs -- so we'll know when someone is attracted to us.

Non-Verbal Love Signs:
Remember that only 7% of communication is verbal! The other 93% is body, face, voice tone. So you can use this during the courtship process.
*A lot of our courtship cues come from our biological impulses and evolutianary background. Not much has changed since our caveman days (except maybe high heels and cologne).
Women tend to...

  • Tilting the head- exposes the neck which is vulnerable, submissive behavior and releases pheromones to the male.
  • Rub their subrasternal notch- when feeling intimate. (tread carefully)
  • The ultimate flirty look from an evolutionary stand point- chin down, look up to the side at a man while batting her eyelashes. This makes her look approachable, helpless and submissive. From an evolutionary point of view this revs a mans engine. Marilyn Monroe and Princess Diana had this look perfected.

Men tend to...

  • Point their feet to the female they are most attracted to
  • Territorial displays - Splaying legs far apart. (both seated and standing)
  • Tuck their hands in their pocket with their thumbs out- this is a confidence gesture. John wayne used to do it in all of his posters! Classic American cowboy stance.

Beware of:

  • Fake Happiness: Genuine Happiness is crinkling at the eyes. Be sure to watch out for fake smiles
  • Lip pursing: It means they are holding back and not telling you something.

 For more information from Vanessa, check out her Science of People website.


This content requires the latest Adobe Flash Player and a browser with JavaScript enabled. Click here for a free download of the latest Adobe Flash Player.