Professional Artist Elida Field showed Helen how to add a bit o'luck to her refrigerator with rock magnets.
Lucky rocks for display/decoration, use as magnets, or as a fun word game for the kids.
~1-3 bags of clear glass drops. They range from 1”-3” in size & can be bought from any craft supply store.
~pictures of clovers, scenes, flags, castles etc. that represent Ireland or St. Patty’s Day. You could also
type words out like “I’m,” “Irish,” “cool”,“funny”, “Kiss Me” etc.
~pencil and eraser
~diamond glaze glue
~Amazing E-6000 heavy glue (optional)
~ceramic disc magnets (optional)
How to create “Lucky Rocks and Magnets”
1. Go onto the computer or look through books, magazines, photographs etc. and print out all images and words to be used for your lucky rocks and magnets.
2. Once printed, grab a few of your glass rocks out from the bag and begin tracing around the rocks and around the images you’d like to use.
3. Cut out the circled images and set aside.
4. Using your diamond glaze, carefully put the glue on top of the image and then squish the rock over the top pressing down hard enough to disperse the glue to the edges. If there is any paper hanging over the side, carefully cut away so that the paper is slightly smaller then the rock. You could also use the diamond glaze over the back side of the paper once it’s glued on to give it a sealed, glossy finish. Put all of the rocks in a big glass bowl for display or add them to a tray
5. If you are wanting to create magnets, let them completely dry then add a small drop of Amazing E-6000 to the back of the rock and press the magnetic disc firmly down. Place the magnets upside down until completely dried. Then you can add them to your refrigerator or message board! In cases where the paper is white, you might want to seal with the diamond glaze so the magnet won’t bleed through to the front.
You can create rocks with different words for the kids to make sentences. Have them lay out the rocks describing how they feel, or how they view themselves. It’s a creative way to get your kids to talk with you and share. You could make these into magnets where for them to show you their mood everyday on the refrigerator. For instance, “ I feel...” and they pick out a word to finish. You might even want to create a special rock for each of your children to keep with them in their pockets at all times to remember how much they are loved. This sort of magical rock can be their good luck charm and a constant reminder that you are always there with them!