Do you wake up in the morning feeling horrible? Don't let that feeling set the tone for the entire day! Psychotherapist and life coach Didi Zahariades, MA, joined us to share how to overcome bad experiences and overwhelming negative emotions and have a better day:
- Just because you Feel it doesn’t mean you have to ACT it. Know the difference between feelings and making a decision; you can operate under free will and choice. This isn’t about controlling your feelings; it is about guiding your day. If you are focused on your mood; you are focused on emotions. You never have to think the way you feel. Don’t wait to see how you feel to have a good day… make a decision to have a good day.
- What you focus on grows! *Fake it til you Make it! *Focus on the positive; it makes the negative weaker. *Words can shift your day. *Be more important than your feelings… Place importance on your day; your week; your time. Push yourself to have a great day and experience a better life.
- It isn’t about You! People’s actions rarely have anything to do with you. Even if it feels personal in the moment, focus on the facts not the feelings. (Think road rage.) It’s easy to link others behavior to your happiness, but this takes away your power. Slow down, observe, & remind yourself, "This isn’t not about me!"
- Pay Attention to your Social Circle. Angry and negative people facilitate other grumpy, negative people. If you hang out with garbage long enough you start to stink! Pay attention to the people you spend time with and create a healthy distance from those that are overly negative. Negative stories can often be funny, but be cautious of spending your free time focusing on these parts of your life.
- Give your feelings proper Respect. If something is serious, then you have to respect the level of angst, change, or sorrow it plays in your life. This isn’t about ignoring or controlling your feelings. Learn to check in you.
For more help, visit Didi's website.