This year, instead of making a New Year's resolution you'll break, make one that actually benefits your mind, body and soul. Counselor and life coach Margaret Evans joined us to share why you should Be Kinder to Yourself and how you can do that:
- Advocate for yourself. Speak up for yourself and your needs in relationships, at work, with doctors, in interviews, and in your life. Your voice is important & deserves to be heard.
- Express your emotions--don’t numb them. Tell others how you feel, journal your feelings, write poetry, see a counselor, cry, sing, create, let your expressive artist out.
- Listen to your body and take care of it. Sleep 8--‐9 hours, drink water, find exercise you enjoy, take a long bath, lay down for a nap. You live in the Northwest, where healthy food is abundant-- be creative in the kitchen and eat well. Have fun!
- Love! Love your pet, family, friends, and those in need. Loving makes others feel good AND makes you feel good about yourself. Hug somebody today!
- Laugh! Laugh with Helen & Dave on AM Northwest, hang out with people who make you giggle, don’t take yourself too seriously, tell funny stories, smile even when you don’t feel like it. Life is different with a smile on your face-- it is better! Go ahead and smile!
- Listen to your mind, body, soul and say yes to opportunities that speak to you. Dance? Piano? Poetry reading? Zumba? Yoga? Volunteering? Art? Singing? Acting? Gardening? What is it that is speaking to you? Live in the present– NOW is your time to shine!
- Let go of anger, resentment, and fear. Let go of what is holding you back and you will find freedom and space for good things to come into your life. Now is the time.
- Be grateful! Each night give thanks for what you have rather than being upset over what you think is missing. Watch your grateful list and your happiness grow!
For more information, visit Margaret's website.