Streamline your beauty routine for the new year and start 2012 looking more gorgeous than ever! Beauty expert Desiree Stordahl, co-author of the new 9th edition of the best-selling book Don’t Go To The Cosmetics Counter Without Me, joined us to share a few of her picks:
- Play Up Your Lashes so Your Eyeshadow Doesn’t Have to Most of us don’t have enough time to apply a perfectly blended set of eyeshadows in our morning routine—and you don’t need to. Instead, focus on emphasizing your lashes with a great mascara and sweep a liner across your lids for a sophisticated, beautiful look. How to pull it off: Clinique High Impact Mascara ($16), Physician’s Formula Eye Booster 2-in-1 Lash Boosting Eyeliner + Serum ($10.95).
- Even Out Your Complexion and Add a Touch of Radiance Adding an “illuminating” effect to your face creates a healthy, warm glow and while evening out your complexion gives off a more youthful appearance. Treat dark spots and signs of sun damage with a blend of proven vitamins and antioxidant plant extracts. Don’t forget to use sunscreen every day, otherwise these discolorations will keep reappearing. How to pull it off: Paula’s Choice RESIST Pure Radiance Skin Brightening Treatment ($26.95) & Neutrogena Ageless Intensives Tone Correcting Moisture SPF 30 ($19)
- Experiment with Lip Color If you are stuck wearing the same lip color season after season, or even year after year, consider breaking out of your comfort zone and adding a pop of color to your lips. This is one of the simplest ways to transform your look, it doesn’t add any extra time to your makeup routine, and it can enhance or spice up your look every day. Lip color collections with gorgeous shade options: L’Oreal Colour Carasse ($10), Giorgio Armani Rouge D’Armani Lipstick ($30), and Rimmel Stay Glossy ($5)
- Ditch Your Scrub and Start Using a BHA Exfoliant Exfoliation is the key to softer, younger-looking skin, not to mention it can help with acne and even wrinkles, but you just don’t get impressive results from a scrub (you can’t scrub acne away). Scrubs can actually make matters worse, causing microscopic tears in the skin. If you have oily or acne-prone skin, try using a BHA exfoliant instead. BHA (also known as salicylic acid) penetrates the pore lining to unclog pores and return them back to a normal size. Try: Clean & Clear Advantage Oil Absorbing Treatment Oil-Free ($7)
- Audit Your Beauty Cabinet and Toss What You Don’t Use If you have a tendency to hold on to products for too long, this is a great time of year to de-clutter your beauty cabinet. 1)Toss mascara and liquid or gel eyeliner after 4 months. 2) Moisturizers, serums, and foundations: 6 months to a year. 3) Powder-based products can last 2-3 years, but let’s be honest, if you haven’t used them up in that amount of time, they probably aren’t worth hanging on to. 4) Lip colors are fine for 2-3 years. 5) With any of these products if it smells funky, or the texture or color has changed significantly- toss it out!
For more beauty information, visit the Cosmetics Cop website.