It's not easy to create your own optical illusion, but mountain climbers and hikers who have ever been out and about on a sunny and foggy day did just that, creating what's known as a "Brocken spectre."
Radka Chapin and her husband got to see the amazing sight while they were up at Tamanos Mountain on Saturday.
"We got treated to a spectacular light show with Brocken Spectre," she said. "We spent several hours on the summit! We tried to leave several times but then the Spectre would start showing again and it was so magnificent, we had to stay and watch it. We ended up hiking out with headlamps :) "
The effect, which projects your long shadow on top of a rainbow halo, requires sunshine, a person on a peak or at least someplace where they are higher than the horizon, and a fog or mist layer below. The specte is always shown exactly opposite from the sun, which is why if the sun is above the horizon, you have to be able to see the effect below your horizon, like, on top of a mountain. (The effect can be replicated on a flat surface if the sun is low on the horizon)
The shadow surrounded by the circular rainbow halo is caused as the light bends around you and your shadow is projected onto the fog/mist layer below. Much like where you see a rainbow positioned is unique to your eye, the spectre would also drift as your eye moves.
Things that are now as likely as an El Niño this winter:
* You will spend at least 30 minutes getting from Seattle Center to I-5 via Mercer…
* Marshawn Lynch will go Beast Mode…
* You'll have buyer's remorse for that impulse purchase on Amazon Gold Box. (At least you can send it back...)
Yes, NOAA was out with their fresh El Niño update and now they are giving a whopping 95 percent chance that El Niño will last into the winter, with gradual weakening foreseen into spring. This is about as confident as forecasters get-- heck, sometimes there's a token 5% chance of rain in Death Valley in the summer.
Chalk up two firsts for the planet this year when it comes to hurricanes this summer -- a parade of three simultaneous hurricanes in the Pacific Ocean over the weekend, plus a rather odd record set in the Atlantic too.
First in the Pacific, where three Category 4 hurricanes -- Kilo, Ignacio and Jimena -- were roaming the Central Pacific Ocean waters at the same time on Sunday. It's the first time in the satellite imagery era (think post 1950s) that three major hurricanes were observed at the same time east of the International Dateline, according to The CIMSS Satellite Blog via the University of Wisconsin (aka "the other U-Dub".)
Jack Nichols and his friend Nate had a plan under what should have been a starry night Saturday night - wait until midnight when the quarter moon sets and it's totally black, then head up to Artist Point and get some amazing shots of the Milky Way galaxy over a majestic Mt. Baker.
They're sometimes mistaken for aliens, but really, it's just a sign rain might be on the way.
Luke Meyers just recently published this time lapse video of a rather strange-looking lenticular cloud over Mt. Rainier last March. It's a good illustration of how they form -- the clouds look stationary but there's quite a bit of movement in them as air rises just enough to saturate, then dries enough as it sinks to "go invisible" again.
SEATTLE -- Some of the people on their way into Seattle Wednesday evening got quite the hello from Mother Nature as lightning struck two different jets as they approached Sea-Tac Airport.
University of Washington student Owen Craft was out in the University District trying to film lightning strikes as a thunderstorm moved through and caught the two massive bolts as they passed through the planes' fuselage.
"I was stunned for a second because I couldn't believe what I just saw," Craft said. "After the second (plane) got hit, I knew I was on to something spectacular!"
Those who were up early enough Sunday morning in Surrey, B.C. and happened to look up were treated to a spectacular scene in the heavens that looks like something straight out of the imagination of a futuristic Hollywood alien blockbuster film.
In actuality, it was the combination of two rather routine events that just happened to have impeccable timing:
A sunrise (one for the ages on its own) …and a plane descending through a solid, stable cloud layer.
CHEYENNE, Wyo. (AP) - A bizarre sheet of wispy clouds undulating over the Teton Range enchanted tourists and even veteran employees of Grand Teton National Park.
Drivers stopped along the park's main highway Thursday morning to gaze in awe and shoot photos of the rare phenomenon hovering over Grand Teton mountain. At 13,775 feet above sea level, the Grand Teton is the highest point in the Teton Range.