Battle Ground

Students return to school, accused boy returns home in Battle Ground

Students return to school, accused boy returns home in Battle Ground »Play Video
Chief Umtuch Middle School on Thursday morning.

BATTLE GROUND, Wash. – Students in Battle Ground were back in class Thursday morning – with the exception of a 13-year-old boy whose threats, police say, caused five schools in the district to close on Wednesday.

The boy was back home with his parents after being arrested.

Police said the boy made suicidal threats on a website the district set up last year to submit issues or problems. A teacher who investigated found further threats that discussed using explosives and hurting a teacher.

Police later determined the boy was not suicidal and didn't have the capability to follow through on his threats.

Parents said they’re glad the situation has been resolved.

“As a mother, there's a little bit of worry, but no, we're ready to move on,” said Christy Sarkinen. “Hopefully everything was taken care of.”

Police presence will be stepped up at the five schools - Chief Umtuch Middle School, where the threat was made, as well as Summit View Middle, Captain Strong Primary, CAM Academy and Battle Ground High School.

Police confiscated the boy’s computer.

“They found him, and it sounded like they're taking care of the matter,” said parent Bronwin Tapani.