PORTLAND - Breast cancer not only changes a woman's life forever but sometimes takes it away from them - a good reason to ramp up efforts to fight the disease.
This Sunday, tens of thousands of people will be putting on their battle gear (in other words wearing lots of pink) and heading to downtown Portland for the annual Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure.
KATU is a proud supporter and our very own 'Think Pink for the Cure' team will be there among the crowd of people who will be rallying together. It's a cause that is close to our hearts here at the news station because two of our colleagues are breast cancer survivors - AM Northwest Host Helen Raptis and On Your Side Problem Solver Shellie Bailey-Shah.
"Anytime you go through something like that, all you want to do is get back to normal," says Shellie. "But life is never quite normal again."
The deadline to register online has passed, but you can still sign up in person:
- Saturday, Sept. 14 - Crowne Plaza Hotel at 1441 N.E. Second Avenue. Go to the Registration and T-Shirt Pick-Up Event between 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Sunday, Sept. 15 - Register on race day starting at 6:30 a.m. at Tom McCall Waterfront Park.
- *Note: There will not be any shuttle buses to the race, Participants are encouraged to carpool or use public transportation. TriMet will be running additional trains and buses during the event.
The start line is at Southwest Pine Street and Naito Parkway. The finish line is at Southwest Yamhill Street and Naito Parkway. Street closures include:
- Northbound Naito Parkway/Front Avenue, between SW Jefferson and NW 26th Avenue, will be closed from 7:00 a.m. to 11:15 a.m. Some portions of northbound Naito north of SW Oak Street may be re-opened by 10:15 a.m.
- Southbound Naito Parkway, between NW 26th and SW Columbia, will be closed from 7:00 a.m. to 11:15 a.m. Some portions of southbound Naito from NW 26th to SW Ankeny Street may be reopened by 10:30 a.m.
- NW 9th Avenue, from NW Naito Parkway to NW Davis, will be closed from 7:30 a.m. to
- NW Broadway, from NW Davis to W Burnside, will be closed from 7:30 a.m. to 10:45 a.m.
- West Burnside will be closed in both directions between 6th and 9th Avenues from
7:45 to 10:30 a.m.
- SW Broadway, from SW Burnside to SW Main, will be closed from 7:30 a.m. until 10:45 a.m. Cross traffic will be permitted at certain key intersections during the event, however, whenever safe gaps in the runners occur.
- SW Salmon, between SW Broadway and SW Naito Parkway, will be closed from 7:30 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.