Hillsboro - Aloha

Driver who had seizure and killed teen sentenced to 19 months

Driver who had seizure and killed teen sentenced to 19 months »Play Video
Michelle Young appears in a Washington County court on Friday, May 10, 2013. KATU photo.

HILLSBORO, Ore. - A woman who had a seizure, veered off the road and struck and killed a teenager was sentenced Friday to 19 months in jail, the maximum penalty in the case.

Michelle Young also had her drivers license revoked for life after pleading guilty to criminally negligent homicide. She will receive credit for time served since her arrest in December and will be enrolled in a three-year post prison program upon her release.

Young had a seizure in September while behind the wheel and hit 17-year-old Max McGregor, who was walking home from school. The crash, which also sent Young's car into a fence and house, happened along Southwest 185th Avenue at Sandra Lane in Aloha.

Paramedics tried to save McGregor, but he died at the scene - just a block away from home.

Young had been at the hospital that morning where she had been transported by ambulance for another seizure. A physician who treated her told her not to drive because she might have another one. Young took a cab from the hospital to her parked vehicle and then got behind the wheel just a few hours later. That's when she suffered another seizure and crashed.

McGregor (pictured at right) was a junior at Beaverton's Health and Science School, where he was focusing on engineering. His mother said he was particularly interested in aviation engineering. McGregor also loved to draw and play video games, and family and friends said he was witty and compassionate.

The boy's mother, Peggy McGregor, was in court on Friday and said "the only thing I know to do is to try and make sure it doesn't happen again."

"Please don't let her drive," she told the judge before sentencing. "Please don't let this happen to somebody else."

McGregor's pain was also evident in some of the other testimony she gave in court.

"I'm supposed to talk about finances and funeral," McGregor said at one point. "Truth is, I don't care about any of that. The hardest thing for me to come to deal with is that I actually have more money now because I'm not having to buy him shoes every six weeks because he's outgrowing them. And I'm not having to feed a growing boy. I don't know how to go grocery shopping anymore. I stand there in the aisles and I stare at things because I don't know what I'm supposed to do."

Young had previously been arrested on a DUII charge in 2008 in an incident that involved her medications. Her mother told KATU in December that her daughter had been taking seizure medication, and pills for depression and anxiety.

Young did make a statement in court. She said she cannot eat or sleep and is praying for Max's family every day. She told the court she regrets the mistake she made that day.

Peggy McGregor said it felt good to hear those words from Young because she wants to know that the woman who killed her son is also suffering.