Longview

Man on oxygen badly burned while trying to light a cigarette

Man on oxygen badly burned while trying to light a cigarette
Photo courtesy Longview Police & Fire.

LONGVIEW, Wash. - Investigators believe a man who was badly burned in a fire had tried to light a cigarette while using medical oxygen.

The fire happened around 11:30 p.m. Saturday at a home in the 1400 block of 11th Avenue in Longview.

When firefighters arrived, they found the victim struggling on the front porch while heavy smoke and flames shot out from the front door. He was rushed to a hospital with serious burns.

It took fire crews about 15 minutes to get the fire under control. The man lived in a duplex and only his half of the home was damaged.