PORTLAND, Ore. – Six people escaped a house fire in Northeast Portland Thursday morning.
The fire started just before 4 a.m. at a house located at 720 N.E. 91st Ave.
Crews extinguished the fire. No one was hurt.
Portland Fire and Rescue said six adults were living in the house. Fire crews reported extreme clutter inside the home.
Most of the fire was in the basement, firefighters said. They said it started after someone left a candle burning. They believe the candle was used to light the room since there was no power to the house.
Neighbors told KATU they have been complaining about the residents for months because they leave too much trash in their yard.
Some of the residents wanted to go back inside the burning home for their pets. All of the pets escaped safely, firefighters said.
The fire caused about $50,000 in damage to the home.
KATU's Stephen Mayer contributed to this story.