North Portland

Suspect in 'Operation White Christmas' arrested after two state chase

Suspect in 'Operation White Christmas' arrested after two state chase »Play Video
Portland police boxed in this pickup after a high-speed chase that started in Vancouver ended in North Portland Wednesday.

PORTLAND, Ore. – Officers arrested a wanted suspect after a police chase that started in Vancouver, Wash. and ended in North Portland on Wednesday.

Michael Allen, 27, was wanted on a parole violation and is a suspect in Operation White Christmas, said Portland police spokesman Sgt. Pete Simpson.

The operation, a joint federal and state investigation led by the Multnomah County Sheriff's Office, targets white supremacist gang members and others accused of drug and firearm trafficking.

Simpson said U.S. marshals were looking for Allen and found him near Beaches restaurant just south of Highway 14 in Vancouver. Vancouver police assisted in trying to pull over Allen’s vehicle, a Ford pickup truck with "U-Haul" stickers, but Allen led police on a high-speed chase down Interstate 5 that crossed into Oregon. At that point, Portland police joined the pursuit.

Simpson said Allen tried to ram into marked police cars during the pursuit.

The chase ended near North Trenton Street and Hodge Avenue at around noon after an officer hit the pickup, police said. Other police cars boxed in the pickup so Allen could not flee.

Simpson said a Portland police officer may have rammed Allen’s vehicle to get it to stop. He said Portland police are still unsure if the officer rammed or used a PIT maneuver to end the chase.

According to Simpson, “ramming” is considered a use of deadly force and the incident is being investigated that way to determine if the officer did in fact “ram” the suspect’s car.

An officer was injured during the incident but is expected to be OK, Simpson said. But he would not elaborate on the officer’s injuries or release his name. He said no one else was injured.

There were two women in Allen’s vehicle who are associated with him. Police identified the women as Kathryn Ann Eisenblatter, 23, and Jaymie Anne Weaver-Butler, 20.

At least one officer will be put on paid leave pending the end of the investigation, Simpson said.