SHERWOOD, Ore. – A 3-year-old boy was seriously injured after he fell from a second story window in Sherwood Tuesday afternoon.
An off-duty firefighter was in the area when the boy fell and began giving him medical aid before firefighters arrived, according to Tualatin Valley Fire and Rescue. It happened just before 12 p.m. on Southwest Timber Crossing Lane.
The boy was flown by LifeFlight helicopter to a Portland hospital.
Tualatin Valley Fire and Rescue offered the following window safety tips for families:
- Find out which of your windows may pose a fall risk.
- Keep windows closed and locked when not in use.
- Keep areas in front of windows clear of anything a child may climb.
- Enforce a kid-free zone in front of all windows.
- On windows that pose a fall risk, limit openings. STOP at 4" by installing child safety window stops that can be bypassed by an adult in an emergency.
- When buying new windows, research which manufacturers offer built-in child safety hardware.