Southeast Portland

Fire destroys addiction recovery home in SE Portland

Fire destroys addiction recovery home in SE Portland
(Photo by Greg Muhr)

PORTLAND, Ore. – Flames engulfed a Southeast Portland addiction recovery home and spread to another house Saturday night.

It started at a house located at 6924 SE Martins St. around 10:30 p.m., according to Portland Fire and Rescue spokesman Damon Simmons.

The Oregon State Fire Marshal said an improperly discarded cigarette caused the fire.

When fire crews arrived, they found flames coming from every visible window and door of the house. Strong winds caused the fire to spread to a neighboring home.

Firefighters quickly called for more crews and equipment with a second alarm, Simmons said. Portland General Electric crews were also called to the scene due to a downed power line in the street.

No one was hurt. Everyone was out of the homes by the time crews arrived.

The house that was destroyed was an addiction recovery home run by the Oxford program. Seven men and a four-year-old boy were displaced by the fire, according to Oxford outreach worker Edward Smith.

The home is one of 156 Oxford homes in Oregon, Smith said.

“It’s completely self supporting. What that means is the men in this case that live here pay to live here themselves," said Smith. “This program works because the men want to be here.”

The damage was estimated at $60,000.

The Red Cross is helping four of the men and the boy. The others were able to stay at another Oxford home, Smith said.