Sunset

Family escapes house fire; firefighters rescue rabbit

Family escapes house fire; firefighters rescue rabbit
Hillsboro firefighter Kabe Grant takes Snowball the rabbit back to its owner. (Photo by Hillsboro fire)

HILLSBORO, Ore. – A Hillsboro family and their pets escaped a house fire Tuesday afternoon.

Firefighters rescued a pet rabbit in a cage while they were fighting the fire. The rabbit, named Snowball, was not hurt. Two cats also escaped unhurt.

The fire started just after 4 p.m. at a home at 111 NE Edison Street. Jeremiah Simpson, 28, escaped the home with his wife and two-year-old son. He told Firefighters he called 911 after he smelled smoke and found melting plastic dripping from a bathroom exhaust fan.

The fire caused about $15,000 in damage.

Firefighters said the house didn’t have working smoke detectors.