West Linn

Here's what can happen when you don't douse your fireworks

Here's what can happen when you don't douse your fireworks
Photo courtesy of Tualatin Valley Fire and Rescue.

WEST LINN, Ore. - Firefighters say a small blaze that broke out at a home in West Linn is a good example of the importance of soaking fireworks debris in water once the fun is over for the night.

Around 3:20 a.m. Friday, firefighters were called to a home in the 19000 block of Bellevue Way. When they arrived, flames had spread up the side of the house and were being fed by a natural gas meter, which was also burning.

NW Natural crews were called to the scene to turn off the gas line and firefighters were eventually able to knock out the flames.

A fire investigator determined that fireworks were to blame. According to the homeowners, they set off legal fireworks the night before and had picked up the debris around 11 p.m. The debris was put into a plastic tote, which was set down next to the home when everyone went to bed.

The fireworks were not soaked in water or wetted down and within a few hours, the homeowners and their overnight guests were awakened by the smell of smoke. They did get out safely.

The exterior of the home was badly damaged and there was some slight damage to the roof and garage.

Photo courtesy of Tualatin Valley Fire and Rescue.