Questions persist after police shooting of Tigard teen

Questions persist after police shooting of Tigard teen »Play Video
TIGARD, Ore. - A man identified as Lukus Glenn, 18, was killed by police called to an area of unincorporated Tigard early Saturday morning, after reports about a man using a shovel to break car windows and yelling, "Somebody's going to die tonight."

Sgt. David Thompson said deputies who responded fired nonlethal beanbag rounds at Glenn but he still refused to drop the knife he was carrying, holding it to his own throat and headed for the front of a nearby home.

Authorities feared for the safety of the home's occupants, Thompson said, and fired several beanbag rounds at Glenn, to no effect.

"Deputies felt they had no other choice but to shoot Mr. Glenn before he entered the residence," Thompson said. "Both deputies fired at Mr. Glenn and he was struck multiple times."

Thompson did not name the deputies involved, pending a decision of whether to take the case to a grand jury. The two deputies involved have been placed on administrative leave, pending a decision.

Neighbors told KATU-TV that Glenn played football at Tigard High School and had graduated this spring. He also played soccer and was on the track team.

Glenn's mother says Lukus was trying to escape the beanbag rounds when deputies opened fire with bullets. Two friends of Lukus Glenn say the deputies fired bullets shortly after firing the beanbag rounds.

Neighbors who were at the scene say Glenn did not lash out at police before he was shot.

Glenn's mother, who called 911 in hopes that police could calm her son, says he was intoxicated and upset, possibly over a relationship with a girlfriend.

Witnesses say Glenn appeared to be calming down until the confrontation with the deputies began.

After Glenn was shot, his mother reportedly experienced chest pains and required medical attention. She was reportedly informed by a paramedic that her son had been killed.

Glenn was a three-sport athlete at Tigard High School and carried a 3.5 grade point average. He reportedly had no prior incidents with law enforcement.

(From AP and KATU reports)