8/22/2014

Currently

80°F

Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 41%
Pressure: 30.00 in

Local

Family loses pets in house fire

Family loses pets in house fire
Show Caption

JEFFERSON, Ore. – A family in Jefferson escaped a house fire early Saturday morning, but their dog and cat did not survive.

Firefighters responded to the fire at a manufactured home at 1891 Steiwer Road SE just after 2 a.m.

Ken and Michelle DuClose, and Ken’s brother Mike DuClose all escaped from the house, firefighters said. Their Yorkshire Terrier named Owen and their cat named Dat did not survive.

Firefighters said Michelle DuClose woke up when she heard a noise and realized it was a fire. Ken DuClose tried to put the fire out, but realized it was too big and ran out of the house with his wife and brother.

No one was hurt. A neighbor called 9-1-1.

Firefighters said a candle left burning overnight may have caused the fire. The damage was estimated at $170,000.

Share:
Oregon gunman planned to kill 'bunch' of people Oregon gunman planned to kill 'bunch' of people