Police: Boy, 10, made up abduction story
NEWPORT, Ore. (AP) — Newport police say a 10-year-old boy falsely reported he was abducted to avoid getting in trouble.
The Statesman Journal reports that officers responded to a call from the boy's custodial family, who reported him missing Friday evening.
Newport Police Sgt. Tom Simpson says officers found the boy just before 7 p.m. He told authorities that he had been abducted by an older man driving a large truck.
Police say the boy admitted fabricating the story on Saturday to avoid getting into trouble with family members and school officials. He had left the school without permission, went to an area of Newport he was unfamiliar with. He then asked a resident in that area to drive him home after it grew dark.