- Story Updated Thu Dec 12 07:43:38 PST 2013
PDX icon George Azumano dies; son-in-law Sho Dozono remembers him
“He lived his life without bitterness and did what he could to bring smiles to the faces of the people he met,” says Sho Dozono of his father-in-law, George Azumano.
Azumano died Monday. He was 95-years-old and will be remembered as a Portland icon.
“He was born here, lived his life here and was proud to call Portland home,” Dozono says. “Once, he met a guy on the corner who demanded to know where he was from. He kept trying to tell him he was an American.
“That’s what he told people – he was an American. He was an Oregonian. And he was proud of both.”
- Gun control debate still rages a year after shooting
- Mandela tried to teach that we all have greatness within us
- Woman's tragic coincidence offers lessons of compassion
- A Thanksgiving story: Matt Conwell's mission to help Union Gospel
- Twenty-five years later, a murder still resonates for lawyer
- Remembering an everyday superhero
- Auditor: Considering police reform should not be on the back burner
- FBI document shows how alleged criminal was caught
- Forest Grove children killed: A plea for ignorance
- Former gang member: "There's nothing you can do to change what you've done"
- Scenes from a murder: The killing of Tiffany Jenks
- More top stories...