Crestline arsonist gets sentence reduced

Crestline arsonist gets sentence reduced »Play Video
Dylan Mork, 17, (right) appears in court Monday, July 7, 2014 for his sentencing after he admitted to starting a fire in February 2013 that destroyed Crestline Elementary School in Vancouver.

VANCOUVER, Wash. – An arsonist who set an elementary school on fire had his sentence reduced.
17-year-old Dylan Mork was sentenced last week for setting fire to Crestline Elementary School in Vancouver. But as KATU’s On Your Side Investigators have discovered, Mork is already back on the streets, and neighbors and former students from the school are not happy.

When Mork started a fire that burned down the school, it set off a chain of events that rocked the community.

"What he did was not okay," said high school senior, Jamie Pina-Marquez, who lives just down the street from Crestline Elementary School with her 11-year-old brother, Aim.

The school burned down early in the morning.

"It got me and it was pretty much a pretty big pain," said Aim, who was a student at the school at the time.

Last week, Mork apologized as he was sentenced to pay $2 million in restitution for his crime.

"I think about what happened every day,” Mork said. “I wish I could go back and change things."

Mork was also sentenced to 150 days of community service and ten days in a juvenile detention facility.

Juvenile court officials, however, have confirmed that Mork served only eight days behind bars, and he's now out on the streets.

“I think that’s pretty unfair,” said Aim. “He was supposed to do ten days, not eight days.”

Aim’s sister agrees.

Mork confessed to lighting a coat on fire that caught a bench on fire, which led to the school going up in flames in February of last year.

Court officials say his sentence was reduced because of good behavior.

A new, $22 million Crestline Elementary School is set to open next month.

Mork will turn 18 in February of next year. He’ll then have a chance to challenge his juvenile sentence, including the $2 million in restitution. Mork’s attorney says there are no plans to do that, at least for now.