Court doc: Suspect tells police he planned killing for week

Court doc: Suspect tells police he planned killing for week »Play Video
Timothy D. Davis appears in court Monday accused of shooting and killing Albert G. Hopkins in Mount Angel last week.

SALEM, Ore. - The man accused of gunning down and killing a man in Mount Angel last week plotted the attack for at least a week, according to a court document Monday.

Police say 30-year-old Timothy D. Davis shot and killed 54-year-old Albert G. Hopkins as he was arriving home from a business trip in an airport shuttle van.

The Marion County district attorney's office says it still has no idea what led to the shooting.

On Monday, Davis wore a blue jail garment known as a 'suicide smock' during his appearance on murder and assault charges.

In the probable cause affidavit, police say Davis told them he planned the killing for one or two weeks while Hopkins was away from the home he shared with Davis and Davis' mother.

Davis said he bought hollow-point ammunition for a .357 Magnum revolver that Hopkins kept in the house. When Hopkins arrived home, Davis ran out and shot him six times in the head.

Davis said he thought about committing suicide by getting responding officers to shoot him; instead, he laid the handgun down on a nearby vehicle after the shooting, called 9-1-1 himself and waited for police to arrive.

The district attorney's office spoke with the victim's family after court Monday afternoon.

"It's an obviously an incredibly traumatic experience for them," said Joe Hollander, Marion County deputy district attorney. "I can't imagine anything worse happening to anybody and it's going to be a challenge for them to get through it. We will all get through it with them together."

KATU News learned Monday that the trip Hopkins was returning from was as a disaster relief worker for the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).

Agency officials said Hopkins had been in Idaho helping residents there get help recovering from floods and landslides that hit northern Idaho in early April.

Davis was ordered held without bail until his arraignment Aug. 3.