Deputy who shot and killed man involved in another shooting

Deputy who shot and killed man involved in another shooting »Play Video
Washington County Sheriff's Deputy Brian McLeod.

Editorial note: A previous version of this story stated that the deputy was also involved in two other shootings. He was actually only involved in one other shooting. KATU regrets the error.

PORTLAND, Ore. – The Washington County sheriff's deputy who shot and killed a man last weekend in Aloha was also involved in another shooting, which is still fairly controversial based on what victims are claiming.

Deputy Brian McLeod has been with the Washington County Sheriff's Office for 12 years. He opened fire Sunday killing 52-year-old Robert Fox. Deputies say Fox came out of his house carrying a loaded high-power rifle and that he pointed it toward the deputies in a threatening manner. Fox was shot once and died at the scene.

McLeod was also part of the tactical negotiations team helping Portland police track down a gang member in the New Columbia neighborhood back in March. That resulted in McLeod and two other officers opening fire on Alberto Flores-Haro who came out of his house with a gun.

He wasn't the man police were looking for and witnesses claim the officers never identified themselves as such. They say he was simply defending his home.

Flores-Haro is still in the hospital recovering from three shots to his stomach and arm.

A grand jury cleared all three officers of any criminal wrongdoing.

"It's just unfortunate that there were two of them (shootings) that close together but police work and law enforcement in general you never know what the next few seconds holds," said Sgt. Bob Ray, spokesman for the Washington County Sheriff's Office.

McLeod has received two lifesaving awards from the sheriff's office for people he helped while on duty.

Prior to these recent shootings, the sheriff's office says he's never pulled the trigger in another officer-involved shooting.

There is a lot McLeod will have to do before returning to patrol, including seeing a psychologist, and running through scenarios similar to the shooting he was involved in.

He'd been back on patrol for roughly two months since the March shooting. He's now on paid leave again as part of standard procedure for what happened last weekend.

The Washington County Sheriff's Office is still facing a $7 million federal lawsuit for the 2006 shooting death of Lukas Glenn.

It's one of 34 lawsuits filed against the agency since 2005 but only eight are still open cases. Two of them resulted in settlements for less than $80,000 total. Another 24 were thrown out.