PORTLAND, Ore. – Portland firefighters had to pull out of a burning house on Friday morning after the second floor of the building partially collapsed.
The fire started at a house on SE Ramona Street just before 9:30 a.m. Firefighters arrived and found a man who suffered a cut but managed to get out of the house.
“His hand or arm was cut. It could have been from glass exploding or him trying to do something to put out the fire,” said Paul Falby, who lived in the burning house. “It happened so quick, it was just grab dogs and get out.”
Firefighters entered the house and started attacking the flames when the floor partially collapsed, according to fire bureau spokesman Lt. Rich Chatman. A commander on the scene determined it was not safe to be inside and ordered all the firefighters out.
The fire also spread to a second neighboring house, plus a natural gas line in the rear of the first house caught fire. Since it was such a complicated fire, commanders ended up twice calling more firefighters to the scene.
Despite being not able to fight the fire from the inside, firefighters managed to get the fire out by around 11 a.m.
Fire investigators aren’t yet sure how the fire started, but residents said there was some work being done on the house. They think an old electrical circuit might have overloaded and sparked the fire.
Several cats from the house also were missing after the fire.
This was the second large fire that Portland firefighters responded to Friday morning. Around 4:20 a.m., a fire broke out at the Pape Kenworth parts and repair facility in northeast Portland.