This is a press release courtesy of Mt. Hood NF Public Affairs
Are you looking for an old fashion holiday experience or a new family tradition? How about a day trip into your National Forest to cut a wild tree?
The Mt. Hood National Forest will begin selling personal use Christmas tree cutting permits on Monday, November 24, 2008. Permits sell for $5.00 each (cash or check only) and there is a limit of five permits per household.
When you purchase your permit you will get an information sheet explaining what to do. Forest Rangers will be happy to direct you to the area that most fits your needs. You may cut a tree up to 12 feet tall. Permits for trees taller than 12 feet may be obtained from Forest Service offices for an additional cost.
Winter weather in the forest can change rapidly. Forest Service roads are not plowed. Be advised of winter road closures and snow park permit requirements. Be prepared for rain, snow and icy conditions. Bring extra food and clothing. We recommend you start early in the day and be out of the forest before dark. Carry a tool to cut your tree, a shovel and tire chains. Tell a friend or family member where you are going and when you plan to return.
You can purchase your permit at all of the Mt Hood National Forest offices and some local vendors. Christmas tree permits are sold at these locations:
Mt. Hood National Forest Headquarters
- 16400 Champion Way, Sandy, OR (SE 362 and HWY 26)
- (503) 668-1700
- Monday thru Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (closed 11:30 to 12:30 for lunch)
Barlow Ranger District
- Dufur Ranger Station, 780 Court Street, Dufur, OR (15 miles south of The Dalles)
- (541) 467-2291
- Monday thru Friday, 7:45 a.m. to 4:30 p.m..
Clackamas River Ranger District
- 595 NW Industrial Way, Estacada, OR. (off HWY 224)
- (503) 630-6861
- Monday thru Friday 7:45 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Saturday, Nov 29 from 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Saturdays, December 6, 13 and 20 from 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- Sundays, December 7 and 14 from 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
Hood River Ranger District
- 6780 HWY 35, Mt. Hood-Parkdale, OR.
- (541) 352-6002
- Monday thru Friday 8:00 a.m. thru 4:30 p.m.
Zig Zag Ranger District
- 70220 E. HWY 26, Zig Zag, OR.
- (503) 622-3191
- Monday thru Friday 7:45 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (closed from Noon to 1:00 for lunch).
- Saturdays, November 29, December 6, 13 and 20 from 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- Sundays, November 30, December 7 and 14 from 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
Tygh Valley General Store
- TV Road, Tygh Valley, OR
- (541) 483-2324
- Monday thru Friday 6:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Saturday and Sunday 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Main Street, Dufur, OR.
- (541) 467-2455
- Monday thru Saturday 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Sunday 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Mt Hood Country Store
- HWY 35 (just north of the Hood River Ranger Station), Mt Hood, OR.
- (541) 352-6024
- Monday thru Sunday 7:30 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
The Feed Shack
- 2315 E. 2nd
- The Dalles, OR
- (541) 298-4937
- Monday thru Friday 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Saturday 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Estacada Tackle Shop
- 210 SE Hwy 224, Estacada, OR 97022
- Sunday thru Wednesday 6:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- Thursday thru Saturday 6:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.