Candle blamed for NE Portland apartment fire

Candle blamed for NE Portland apartment fire
Photo by Portland Fire & Rescue

PORTLAND, Ore. – Firefighters said an unattended candle started a fire in a Northeast Portland apartment Saturday morning.

No one was home when the fire started. It caused an estimated $150,000 in damage.

It happened at the Dekum Court Apartments, located at 7017 NE 27th Ave. An apartment on the second floor was filling up with smoke when crews arrived. Neighbors evacuated the building.

Firefighters said a neighbor heard a smoke alarm and called 9-1-1.

“We could hear alarms before we could smell anything burning,” the neighbor said.