Brothers hope to rebuild after faulty heater burns spa factory

Brothers hope to rebuild after faulty heater burns spa factory

JEFFERSON, Ore. – Investigators say the cause of a fire that burned down the building that housed Columbia Spas Inc. was a faulty baseboard heater.

The heater was located on the west side of the building, according to investigators.

Firefighters responded to the four-alarm fire that destroyed the building just after midnight Thursday.

Flames and multiple explosions threatened a nearby mobile home park, so Marion County sheriff's deputies evacuated residents to a Red Cross shelter set up at Jefferson High School.

Firefighters brought the fire under control at about 2:30 a.m.

The fire did not damage the mobile home park but it did knock out power for some people when it burned some power lines.

According to the Jefferson Fire District, the 25,000 square foot building was insured.

Owners of the business, John Burton and his brother, David, said they were still in shock Friday after seeing the destruction of a business they have owned for the last seven years.

"It's all starting to sink in now," said John. "It's more real every time we come back and take a look at it and talk about it and just trying to cope with it."

While they figure out what to do next, their thoughts are now with their six employees.

"The guys we had working with us were great guys – some of the best guys you'd ever want to work with," John said. "That's why we're trying to get this taken care of so we can get back and get going and take care of them and their families."

The brothers said they are hoping to rebuild once they get all the debris cleaned up.