VANCOUVER, Wash. - The second-degree murder charge against a Vancouver homeowner who shot a car prowler has been dismissed.
A Clark County judge dismissed the charge against Sean H. Doucette on Thursday at the request of prosecutors. They determined that the shooting last year was self-defense and that 19-year-old Iosif Dumitrash of Portland, was the aggressor.
KATU's news partner The Columbian reports a neighbor originally told police that Dumitrash was walking away when he was shot, but the neighbor later changed her story and said Dumitrash charged at Doucette.
Family members said Dumitrash was in Vancouver visiting friends.
Doucette is a former Marine who was returning home from working as a security guard about 4 a.m. on Jan. 29, 2013, when he saw a man breaking into a car.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)