Conflicting views emerge of hit-run suspect

Conflicting views emerge of hit-run suspect

HILLSBORO, Ore. – Those who know the man accused in a fatal hit-and-run crash Sunday morning south of Hillsboro painted two different pictures of the man on Monday.

Bryan Onderdonk, 28, made his first court appearance in Washington County Monday after sheriff's investigators say he hit a car driven by 50-year-old Marcos Castillo of Vancouver. Castillo died in the crash.

Deputies say they saw Onderdonk run from the scene as they arrived but caught him nearby four hours later at Delilah Kovac's house. She hid in a bedroom closet after Onderdonk broke in.

"My heart was going so loud. I figured he could hear my heart," she said. "It was really pounding, and I thought, 'OK.' Then I started praying that I could get out of this alive."

No one answered the door at Onderdonk’s home between Portland and Tigard where neighbors said he lived with his parents since leaving the Air Force a couple years ago. He reportedly did tours in Iraq and Afghanistan.

One neighbor said he's surprised to hear Onderdonk ran from the fatal crash. But another neighbor, who didn't want to be identified, told of confrontations with Onderdonk and what he thought when he heard he was arrested.

"It doesn't surprise me that that situation happened with the T-bone," the neighbor said. "He wasn't the gentleman he could have been. He just wasn't – not a nice guy."

After leaving the service and returning to Portland, Onderdonk helped run a recording company in Southeast Portland called Valiant Records. It featured local hip-hop recording artists but closed last year.

Grant Chisholm, a friend of Onderdonk, saw him almost every day at his business downstairs from the recording studio.

"He didn't have a criminal background, wasn't involved in drugs or alcohol – real clean-cut guy, drove a really nice car. Like I said, served his country, and something like that just absolutely shocks me," Chisholm said.

Onderdonk didn't say anything during his court appearance and showed no emotion.

KATU News wasn't able to confirm Onderdonk's service record with the Air Force on Monday.

People reported a car matching his was driving erratically overnight before the crash. The Washington County Sheriff's Office isn't releasing those calls because they're now part of the crash investigation.

The wife of Castillo is devastated and wants Onderdonk to pay.

"Marcus was such an honest man. Then for this guy to do something this terrible, and then to run like a coward, a coward! I hope he pays to the full extent of the law," said Cindy Castillo. "We had a lot of plans for the future. Those are all gone, and I don't know what I'm going to do with myself."

Cindy Castillo said her husband had recently connected with his adult son in Guatemala – a son he'd never met – and had been hoping to travel to meet him soon.