PORTLAND, Ore. – Portland Fire and Rescue crews told neighbors to stay indoors after a construction crew accidentally cut a natural gas line in Southeast Portland Monday morning.
It happened near the intersection of S.E. 11th Avenue and Division Street. Firefighters closed the intersection while crews responded to the leak.
Construction workers said they heard a roaring sound and smelled rotten eggs after cutting the gas line with a concrete cutting saw, according to Portland Fire and Rescue spokesman Lt. Rich Chatman.
The line is two inches in diameter.
A crew from Northwest Natural Gas is also at the scene to contain the leak and repair the line.