Teen suspected in Crestline Elementary arson appears in court

Teen suspected in Crestline Elementary arson appears in court
A 17-year-old boy accused of setting fire to Crestline Elementary School in February 2013 appears in court Thursday, May 22, 2014. Since he is a juvenile, KATU is not identifying him and has blurred out his face.

VANCOUVER, Wash. -- There is new information about the suspect accused of starting the fire that destroyed Crestline Elementary School last year.

The 17-year-old made his first court appearance Thursday in juvenile court, with his parents standing behind him.

KATU News isn't naming him because he's a juvenile. The teen was arrested last month.

Court documents show the teen told police he acted alone in setting the fire in February 2013. He said he lit a coat on fire that was lying on a bench next to the school building. The flames spread and led to a massive fire that caused $8 million in damage.

After court, the teen and his attorney had no comment. He'll be arraigned in June on a charge of second-degree arson.

According to KATU's news partners at The Columbian, the boy can remain living with his parents while he awaits trial.