Update: The Clark County Medical Examiner's Office on Monday said Donna M. Franchino, 58, died in the fire. Her cause of death was smoke inhalation.
Original story below.
VANCOUVER, Wash. – A woman died inside her Clark County home Friday morning after it caught fire and she couldn’t get out.
Neighbors tried to rescue her but it was too late.
Don Clark, who first called for help, said he's heartbroken over the woman's death. He said he saw smoke coming out of the house starting around 10 a.m.
"Every room of that place was on fire," he said. "It was so hot you couldn't even get near it – absolutely nothing you could do."
When the two-alarm fire started in the 15200 block of Northeast 74th Street in the Orchards area, the woman was trapped in a bedroom. Her son went back inside the house to try to save his mother. He wasn’'t able to get her out.
She was removed by firefighters who cut a hole near a window while the single-story house was still in flames.
According to KATU's newspaper partner, The Columbian, she died a short time later.