PORTLAND, Ore. – Firefighters put out a fire at home that they said was “filled with various items” in Southeast Portland Friday night.
No one was hurt.
Firefighters responded to the home at 5815 SE Ramona Street just after 11 p.m. Smoke and flames were coming from the chimney when they arrived.
Firefighters said they had to break down metal security bars and move items out of the home just to get inside and get to the fire.
"I was in bed and smelled the smoke and I looked out the window and by then the fire trucks were there," said neighbor Dolores Kirkland. "They got there pretty fast."
Kirkland said she saw and smelled clouds of white smoke for over two hours.
"It's a scary feeling, being that close," she said. "You don't know when it might come over through the hedge and into my house."
Investigators said faulty electrical wiring caused the fire. They estimated damage at around $10,000.
This was the second fire this week where fire crews had to deal with a home full of clutter as they worked to put out the flames. On Thursday, firefighters found clutter two feet deep as they fought a house fire in North Portland. They determined the clutter made the conditions too dangerous and fought the fire from the outside of the home.