Firefighters battle double house fire in SW Portland

Firefighters battle double house fire in SW Portland

PORTLAND, Ore. -- Firefighters battled a double house fire in Southwest Portland on Monday afternoon.

Crews were called to 4430 S.W. Vesta Drive just after 2 p.m. after several neighbors reported that two houses were on fire.

The fire apparently sparked from spontaneous combustion from oily rags left out on a wood deck. It spread to one home and then to a second home, fire officials said.

No one was home at the time of the fire. Pets were inside, but were able to escape safely, fire officials said.

The first home that caught fire sustained heavy damaged; the second home was partially damaged, officials said.