Five people escape house fire in SE Portland

Five people escape house fire in SE Portland
(KATU photo)

PORTLAND, Ore. – Five people escaped a house fire in Southeast Portland early Tuesday morning.

The fire started around 2 a.m. at 8728 S.E. Crystal Spring Boulevard.

One of the men living in the home told KATU he woke up to take his dog outside and noticed smoke coming from the gutters and the roof. That’s when he told everyone to get out of the house.

Firefighters said the fire started in a fireplace and spread up a wall and into the attic.

An aging fireplace likely caused the fire, according to Portland Fire and Rescue. The home had no working smoke detectors, firefighters said.

The Red Cross is helping those displaced by the fire.