New details emerge about mall shooter's movements before attack

New details emerge about mall shooter's movements before attack

PORTLAND, Ore. - Court documents reveal new information about a young man who opened fire at the Clackamas Town Center mall last week.

The shooting happened Tuesday, Dec. 11. Investigators say 22-year-old Jacob Roberts, carrying an AR-15 rifle and wearing a hockey mask, made his way through the Clackamas Town Center shooting at customers and employees before finally turning the gun on himself.

Two people - Steve Forsyth and Cindy Yuille - were shot dead before Roberts killed himself. A 15-year-old girl, Kristina Shevchenko, was badly injured and is now recovering at the hospital.

Roberts would have likely shot more people but his rifle jammed mid-way through his shooting spree, according to the Clackamas County Sheriff's Office. He was, however, able to get it firing again.

The Oregon state medical examiner's office determined Forsyth died from a single gunshot wound to the head, Yuille died of a single gunshot wound to the back and Roberts shot himself in the head. Toxicology results for Roberts are still pending.

In court documents obtained by KATU on Monday, investigators with the Clackamas County Sheriff's Office state that they got a phone tip from Roberts' roommate, Chris Dahrens, the day of the shooting saying he thought the young man living with him might be the shooter at the Clackamas Town Center. This was before police confirmed that Roberts was, indeed, the gunman.

Dahrens told police that Roberts had been acting weird, talking about moving to Hawaii and wanted to sell his possessions on Craigslist. He said Roberts had already sold some items online.

"He didn't get angry. He was level," said Dahrens' girlfriend and Roberts' roomate Jaime Eheler. "He wasn't the type to have really good days and really bad days."

Dahrens also told police that at one time he had found a box of AR-15 ammunition in the house that belonged to Roberts. He said Roberts left the house the day of the shooting wearing black clothing and drove away in his green Volkswagen Jetta, never to be seen again.

The court documents also outline how investigators believe Roberts got his hands on the AR-15 rifle, the one that was used at the mall.

Roberts reportedly spent the night hanging out with some people at another home in the area the day before the shooting. A man who lives at that home told police that Roberts said he needed a gun and needed to get out of town. The man said when he woke up the next day around 4 p.m., he noticed that his AR-15 rifle, which was legally purchased, was gone.

KATU's Thom Jensen and Dan Tilkin contributed to this story.