'I opened the door and he was standing there with a gun pointed at me'

'I opened the door and he was standing there with a gun pointed at me' »Play Video
Kelly Vern Swoboda in a booking photo from November 2013.

MILWAUKIE, Ore. -- Dragged out of her job, and tossed into a van, a woman recounted the terrifying moments when Kelly Swoboda kidnapped her.

We've never heard her voice until now, and only KATU News has the recorded police interview that truly shows what she went through.

"I opened the door and he was standing there with a gun pointed at me,” the woman said during an interview with Clackamas County Sheriff’s detectives on February 18, 2014. 

The 23 year-old woman had been kidnapped, and beaten in the back of the head, just a few weeks before, on January 27. She spent a week in the hospital after the attack.

She was closing up a tanning salon in Milwaukie when a strange man walked in that January night.  She told police he seemed to know exactly where she was, in a back office, all alone.

"I was like, I'll give you all the money for the s-- from the salon if that's what you want, just don't hurt me. And then he pulled something out of his pocket. And he hit me over the back of the head twice,” she said.

Bruised and bloody, the man dragged her out of the salon to his minivan at gunpoint.

"I screamed for help in case there was anyone around. But all the businesses near us were closed. So there's no one there. And he pulled me into his ... his van, and he duct taped my wrists and my legs,” she said.

Then he started driving, with her tied up behind the driver's seat. She kept asking him what he wanted, where he was taking her. All the while she was plotting her getaway.

"I remember there was a dumbbell, 'cause I found it in the back. And I had considered hitting him with it on the head ... but then I decided I didn't want to hit him and make him angrier,” she said.

"Something clicked in me. And I was like, oh, i can jump out of the van and get away from him, 'cause I was so scared as to where he was going to take me,” she said.

But first she had to break out of her duct tape restraints.

"I think he could hear me taking the duct tape off, 'cause he kept telling me, stop doing whatever you're doing,” she said.

She didn't give up. She told police she doesn't remember jumping out of the moving minivan on Oatfield Hill Road in Milwaukie.
This orange paint on the road tells a different story. And her injuries show how she took a risk to save her own life.

"I had scratches, which I’m assuming was road rash, all along my left side. And then i had a broken skull. And then that's ... my brain bleed,” she said.

That young woman is Kelly Swoboda's only known victim.

Her family tells KATU News reporter Hillary Lake she is continuing to heal from her injuries, and mend the emotional trauma she suffered during the ordeal.

The detective who conducted that interview with her told a grand jury last month she believes there could be more victims.

A Portland Police officer shot and killed Swoboda during a shoot-out last month.