Man jumps from window to escape NE Portland house fire

Man jumps from window to escape NE Portland house fire

PORTLAND, Ore. – A man had to jump from an upstairs window to escape a fire in his Northeast Portland home on Monday morning.

The man was not hurt in the jump, according to firefighters. Another person in the house was able to escape through the front door.

Heavy white smoke was pouring from the house when firefighters showed up.

The two story house is located at 32 NE Fremont, near the corner of Fremont and North Williams Avenue. Neighbors said the house was more than 100 years old.

Both people who escaped the fire were renters, firefighters said.

Fire department spokesman Rich Chatman said the fire started when a burning cigarette ignited a couch in the living room. The house was a total loss.

A KATU reporter on the scene said Fremont Street was shut down for several blocks and that power lines were knocked down near the house.

In light of what happened, firefighters want to remind everyone that smoking is the leading cause of preventable home fire deaths. Here are precautions you can take to keep safe:

  • Put out all cigarettes, cigars or pipes before you leave the room.
  • Never smoke in bed.
  • Use deep ashtrays. Don't put ashtrays on the arms of sofas or chairs.
  • Keep matches and lighters locked up and away from children. Teach children to tell you if they find a lighter or matches.
  • If smokers have visited, check floors and seat cushions for butts and ashes that may have dropped.