VANCOUVER, Wash. - Carter Coval saw something nobody should ever have to see.
It was a 5-year-old boy, face-down in the water, floating in the pool at Vancouver's Lake Shore Athletic Club around 8:30 p.m. Friday.
Nobody knew whether he was just holding his breath, or if there was a real problem.
As the lifeguard on duty, Coval went over to check. The boy didn’t move. A woman helped Coval lift the boy out of the water.
“He was foaming at the mouth, blue lips, unconscious," Coval said. "I pulled him out on the deck, had someone call 911, bring a (a defibrillator). I checked for a pulse and breathing. I got neither. So I started doing rescue breathing and after about four or five breaths, I got a pulse and he started to breathe.”
The boy’s father was at the pool and rushed over Coval says the man stayed calm while Coval worked to save the little boy’s life.
Paramedics arrived and took the boy to the hospital as a precaution.
Coval said he doesn’t think of himself as a hero.
“I’m just thankful he’s alive," he said. "I’m just praising God that he’s all right, and he’s gonna be all right.”
Coval thinks the boy was playing on the steps and somehow fell in, swallowed water and wasn’t able to breathe.
Coval’s only been working as a lifeguard at the club for five months, but saving lives runs in his family. His dad is a captain in the Vancouver fire department.