9/3/2015

Currently

53°F

Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 89%
Pressure: 30.05 in

Local

Pearl District restaurant employee suffers burns, taken to hospital

PORTLAND, Ore. -- An employee of a Pearl District restaurant was taken to the hospital Thursday night after suffering burns caused when he tried to put out a fire.

At about 8:30 p.m., firefighters were called to Blue Hour Restaurant at 250 N.W. 13th Ave. A broken bottle of alcohol fueled a candle to start the fire, which eventually became hot enough to set off the sprinkler system, according to Portland Fire & Rescue.

Firefighters responded and treated the employee for first- and second-degree burns to the arms and body. He was then taken to Legacy Emanuel Medical Center.

Firefighters advise people to never leave candles unattended and to place them in sturdy metal, glass or ceramic holders, so they don't tip over.

Share:
Photos: 100 days of stunning sunsets in the Pacific Northwest Photos: 100 days of stunning sunsets in the Pacific Northwest