PORTLAND, Ore. -- A fire that broke out early New Year's Day in Southeast Portland is being blamed on fireworks.
At about 12:30 a.m., Portland firefighters were called to a house fire at 3364 S.E. Insley St. Arriving crews found light smoke coming from the back of the home, according to a news release from Portland Fire & Rescue.
The fire, found coming from a detached garage, was brought under control 13 minutes later.
Everyone was out of the house and the fire had not extended to the house, firefighters said.
Firefighters determined the blaze was started by fireworks.
The fire department wants to remind folks that Oregon law forbids possession, use or sale of fireworks that fly, explode or travel more than 6 feet on the ground or 12 inches in the air.
The fine for possessing illegal fireworks is up to $1,000.
A damage estimate of the fire was not immediately available, nor were further details about the the circumstances of the fireworks.