Sprinklers activate, residents escape Clackamas fire

Sprinklers activate, residents escape Clackamas fire

CLACKAMAS, Ore. (AP) - Firefighters say sprinklers contained an accidental fire Wednesday night in a Clackamas apartment building.  

Fire crews arrived at the Town Center Station Apartments on SE Monterey Avenue at about 10:30 p.m.

The flames were out when firefighters arrived, but there was heavy smoke. All the occupants got out safely.  

Firefighters ventilated the building and no injuries were reported. Firefighters said the sprinkler system contained the fire to one unit.

The Red Cross is helping residents of three apartments that are now uninhabitable. A damage estimate was not immediately available.

Firefighters said the fire started when a stove was turned on accidentally and items on the stovetop caught fire.

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)