PORTLAND, Ore. - You still have to walk through snow on the sidewalk not far from Johnny Dallas’ Southeast Portland home. But somebody cleared the drain down on the corner.
Dallas cleared out an area alongside his house after the city said heavy rain could quickly melt snow and lead to flooding.
“So I cleared a path down the side,” Dallas said. “To make sure my drainage goes onto the street and doesn't stick to the side of my foundation.”
Dallas is originally from Ireland, where snow like this is almost unheard of. Dallas didn't run into it much during his last eight years in China either working for Intel. His family moved to Portland in July.
Dallas says he’s looking forward to the thaw.
“Yeah, I am, so then I can drive my Civic out to Hillsboro for work. I have to go to Hillsboro so - it's a bit tough on a 2-wheel drive going up and down these hills,” says Dallas
For a while, the family's front staircase became a mini-toboggan run.
“We were trying to go down the stairs and make like a sled to curve onto the road,” Angus Dallas said.
It's clear, from the snow still stacked on some neighbors' cars, that they haven't moved for a long, long time. That may be because the street in front of the Dallas family's home is still a rutted, sloppy mess that hasn’t seen a city snow plow since the snowstorm started.
“I'm surprised actually,” says Johnny Dallas,”I would have thought there would have been at least one run up the street to try and clear it off.”
The Portland Bureau of Transportation is asking for your help clearing neighborhood storm drains to prevent street flooding.
Salem prepares for flooding
The city of Salem is offering sandbags at the following locations:
- Orchard Heights Park-upper parking lot
- Sather Park (undeveloped), Willie Way NW between Barnabus Street NW and Lottie Lane NW
- Park & Ride, Wallace Road NW and Brush College Road NW
- Public Works Operations, 1410 20th Avenue SE
- Bush Bark, parking lot off Lefelle Street SE
- South Salem High School Parking lot on Howard Street SE
- Fred Meyer, South Salem,706 Madrona Avenue SE
- Wal-Mart, South Salem, 5250 Commercial Street SE
- Courthouse Athletic Club, 6250 Commercial Street SE
- Salem Chinese Evangelical Church, 6836 Sunnyside Road SE
- Lowe’s, Highway 22 and Turner Road SE
- Home Depot, 3795 Hagers Grove Road SE
- Swegle School, Market Street NE and 45th Avenue NE
- Olinger Pool, parking lot at west end of A Street NE
- Ferry Street SE at 25th Street SE