Two plead guilty in 2011 shooting death of 14-year-old boy

Two plead guilty in 2011 shooting death of 14-year-old boy »Play Video
Eddie Mohr (left) and Jimmie Ray Sanders-Garcia (right).

PORTLAND, Ore. – Two men pleaded guilty Monday in the 2011 shooting death of a 14-year-old boy near the Lloyd Center mall.

Jimmie Sanders-Garcia pleaded guilty to manslaughter and robbery, and Edward Mohr pleaded guilty to manslaughter and a gun charge.

Shiloh Hampton died at a hospital after he was shot several times at Northeast 11th and Multnomah in Holladay Park on April 18, 2011. He had been with a group of friends when shots rang out and when the crowd scattered Hampton was the one who was hit.

Authorities said Mohr and Sanders-Garcia fired a barrage of bullets into a crowd of what they thought were rival gang members.

Shortly after pleading guilty, Mohr was sentenced to 20 years in prison and Sanders-Garcia was sentenced to 15 years.

Hampton's grandmother, Mary DeMarco, didn't hold back as she addressed the men responsible in court.

"He was important in this world and unfortunately you chose to kill him," she said. "I don't forgive you. I won't forgive you. I don't see one iota of remorse from either of you."

Hampton's foster father, Roy Washington, showed some sympathy to the killers.

"I wish we could make better decisions for the rest of our lives. Cause we're in a no-win situation right now. No one wins," he said.

Sanders-Garcia did later apologize in court and afterward DeMarco told KATU News that it was nice to hear that apology. However, Mohr never addressed Hampton's family.

"I could see his face and he was actually smirking," DeMarco said of Mohr. "I'm a grandmother. I know a smirk when I see one. In all actuality he wanted me to be quiet and leave him alone."

Washington said the apology from Sanders-Garcia and the sentencing of both men makes him feel a sense of closure.

"I wanted to hear 'I'm sorry' and that was good enough for me and nothing else could bring him back," said Washington, referring to Hampton. "Due to the fact that nothing would bring him back, sorry was good enough. I'm done. I'm done."

Hampton was a freshman at Madison High School when he was killed. His fellow students described him as friendly, funny and helpful.